Steelcase was founded as an office furniture maker, and we've evolved into the global leader in workplace solutions. We apply our insights to the intersection of space, technology, and furniture, helping individuals and teams in leading companies around the world to have a better day at work. We pursue innovation, strive for sustainability and develop insights in every part of our business.
What you will be doing:
Cloud, Server & Storage Hosting Team department in Steelcase seeks to empower our customers through technology to be more productive, informed, engaged and inspired. Our IT organization is a diverse and complex team with a lot of challenges and opportunities. This opportunity is for a creative, adaptive individual who embraces new technology across a wide variety of disciplines where a complex set of responsibilities and technical skills come together.
The main role for the Server Engineer is to provide operational support for all Server (Physical, Virtual and Cloud) and Storage Infrastructure in order to keep the IT environment operating and performing at high level.
• You will perform datacenter management functions that may include physical planning of cable/wire management, power management, and consulting with other teams and specialties in the placement of datacenter equipment. May also include coordination and
implementation of physical installation of servers, racks, network and other datacenter equipment.
• You will manage asset servers and storage
• You will monitor and troubleshoot server performance and throughput problems
• You will use analysis tools, monitoring and troubleshooting software packages and other hardware and software oriented tools to diagnose and correct server performance and connectivity problems. You will also perform appropriate tuning operations
• You will perform ongoing updates and improvements to the server environment and provide troubleshooting and advanced support activities for desktop systems users
• You will work with application developers and design/build teams to monitor the server and network utilization of new business applications or major changes to existing applications
• You will schedule, manage and operate the daily processing of computer-based business applications in support of the corporation's business activities
• You will work with the application support organization to resolve processing failures or mitigate effects of failures
• You will perform technical administrative functions as appropriate to the operation of the platform, including security administration, SAN administration, backup system administration and others as appropriate
• You will document problems and requests within the incident/problem management system
• You will have the responsibility to call out recovery efforts when required and monitor execution of critical issue procedures
• Minimization of escalation to design/build groups by effective documentation and technical capabilities is highly desired
• You will maintain technical documentation by defining operational procedures and work instructions
• You will perform transition management functions to migrate the operation of applications and systems from the design/build teams into the operational teams
• You will provide 24 hours on call production support and troubleshooting, including nights, weekends and holiday periods
Who you are:
• You have good communications skills with strong customer focus abilities, you are a great teammate and a results driven person.
• Good analytical, problem solving, project management and organizational skills
• Good technical curiosity – an extension of analytical and problem solving, but with an ability to figure out and understand the technology and how it works
• Specific IT Skill area should include:
• Logical and physical server design and architectural concepts, server hardware and software.
• VMware ESX, ESXi, VSphere, VSphere client and VCenter expertise.
• Experience as Microsoft Windows Server 20xx admin.
• Operating system installation, support and configuration requirements.
• Installation, configuration and management of storage subsystem components that make up server configurations.
• Familiar with IP network skills, in particular understanding basic network in a Cisco environment.
• Scripting technologies (PowerShell, Python)
• Active Directory services.
• Cloud services technologies.
• SAN Storage - EMC technologies.
• Antivirus technologies.
• RDS, FSRM, IIS, FTP.
• Logical and physical network design and architecture concepts.
• Routers, Ethernet switches and hubs, VPN’s, cable modems, Internet firewalls, network protocol analyzers.
• Network addressing, naming conventions and relevant protocol and wiring standards.
• Interoperability requirements between data communication networks and other information technologies such as server, desktop, database and telecommunications.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Information Systems or equivalent.
• Over 5 years of experience as Server Engineer
• Fluent in English; French or German will be considered an advantage